Patio and the olive-trees. |
building of 'Frantoio del monte' boats an age-old
history that shows part of the events of the local
Under the Burlamacchi family it was one of the six
mills in the country, operated by the waterforce of
the nearby mill-race; then it was used as a granary
and cellar with enormous butts wich contained over
2000 litres wine and were built on the spot, because
there were no openings large enough to let them pass.
Then it was used to have rice glittered. The country
was marshy and rice was one of the best resources.
In the garden of the actual building we can see the
pits in marble used to peel rice. The families that
governed the country after the Burlamacchi's were:
Spada-Cenami, Poletti and finally Spinola. The agricultural
concern Spinola had its oil-mill under the villa that
we can see along the road to Lucca, but it was too
noisy. So the countness decided to remove it in 1939.
So 'frantoio del monte' became the new oil-press for
the whole country up to 1960. After a period of inactivity
it was bought by the Gemma's family from Viareggio
that put it back in action untill 1990.
The building was then restored and transformed into
an elegant Residence with 6 flats and a small cottage,
which was originally a stable and a barn, by maintaining
however the original rustic charachteristics, in particular
the ceilings supported by the typical wood-beams.